DIRECTORS GATHERING seeks DIRECTORS to submit applications for
(DG) MASTER CLASS with LIZ DIAMOND.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017, 10am-6pm
Sunday, February 12th, 2017, 10am-6pm
ABOUT THE CLASS
Five directors will work with professional actors on scenes from modern avant-garde plays by Suzan-Lori Parks and Mac Wellman, under the eye of master director Liz Diamond, who will offer insight, expertise, and inspiration for directors to unlock powerful stories and performances.
ABOUT LIZ DIAMOND
Liz has taught at Yale School of Drama and served as a Resident Director of Yale Repertory Theatre since 1992. She has served as the Chair of the Directing department since 2004. Among the more than 50 productions she has directed at Yale Rep and nationally are many premieres, including Jordan Harrison’s Futura, Catherine Treischman’s Crooked, Lucinda Coxon’s Happy Now?, Octavio Solis’ Gibraltar, Marcus Gardley’s Dance of the Holy Ghosts, and Suzan-Lori Parks’ The America Play, The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World, Betting on the Dust Commander, and Imperceptible Mutabilities in the Third Kingdom. Productions of classical and modern works include Stravinsky’s The Soldier’s Tale, which she also translated, Blaise Candrar’s La Prose du Transsibérien, Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale, Shaw’s Mrs Warren’s Profession, and Pinter’s Betrayal. She has also directed major new translations of Racine’s Phedre, Moliere’s School for Wives, Brecht’s St Joan of the Stockyards, and Strindberg’s Miss Julie. Ms Diamond has directed documentary theatre projects in collaboration with Anna Deavere Smith at the Institute for the Arts and Civic Dialogue at Harvard University, the Yale School of Medicine, and the Lincoln Center Institute. She has been awarded the OBIE and the Connecticut Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Direction. She has taught directing at La MaMa Umbria, the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts, and the Shanghai Theatre Academy, where, from 2008-2012 she served as a Visiting Professor. She is the Project Director of the Krymov Lab at Yale, an ongoing collaboration with the renowned, Moscow-based director/designer Dmitry Krymov. Upcoming productions include Sotto Voce by Nilo Cruz, Grounded, by George Brant, and When Father Comes Home From the Wars by Suzan-Lori Parks.
Directors Gathering will provide each participating director with:
- 2 professional actors who will rehearse with you in advance of the Master Class, and arrive at the Master Class weekend off-book.
- 9 hours of rehearsal space during the week between the two Master Class Sundays.
All 5 participating directors:
- Must be completely available from 10am to 6pm on Sunday, February 5 and Sunday, February 12, 2017.
- Must commit to rehearsing with their actors for at least 6 hours in advance of the Master Class. These rehearsals will be the director’s responsibility to schedule. Additionally, 9 hours of rehearsal space will be provided during the week in between the Master Class Sundays (February 6-11). Directors must commit to those rehearsal hours as well.
- Will be charged a $150 fee for participation in the Master Class.
Application is open to any self-identified theatre director living in the Philadelphia metro area who can provide at least three non-academic solo directing credits.
Directors interested in participating should submit a single .pdf document containing the following:
- A one-page directing resume.
- A response to these questions (no more than 300 words): How will the specific content of this Master Class serve your directorial practice? What do you bring to the room that will be of value to your fellow participants?
- A response to these questions (no more than 300 words): What is the value of challenging, avant-garde text for audiences? What do you perceive to be the unique challenges of performing abstract modern work?
- If you are applying for both the Diamond and Sher Master Classes, a list of your first and second preferences.
Applications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
and are due at midnight on the evening of Sunday, October 30th.
Finalists will be invited to brief interviews on Sunday, 11/13 and participants will be informed at the end of November.
Please contact Jack Tamburri, Director of Programming for Directors Gathering at email@example.com with any questions.